EHS and Workers Comp Specialist
Henley Enterprises, Inc. (and our associated entities) is a privately-owned Franchisee of Valvoline Instant Oil Change (VIOC) currently operating over 230 VIOC locations in Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Maryland, Virginia, Delaware, Florida and California. The Company has grown rapidly and is projecting continued growth moving forward. This is a fulltime, salaried position working out of the Newton Highland Corporate Office. Some flexibility for hybrid work (combination of remote and in-office) is available. The EH&S and Workers Comp Specialist reports to the Senior Director, Risk Management, Facilities & Construction.
Responsible for managing programs to improve and maintain workplace environmental health and safety, worker’s compensation and emergency procedures, and minimize financial losses related to theft, fraud, vandalism for all locations within the Henley family of companies. This position requires the ability to develop ways to detect environmental and safety issues, security violations and other asset protections, including implementing and sustaining effective programs to improve incidence experience and prevent repeat occurrences. This person is expected to communicate effectively and work cooperatively with operational and corporate senior leadership, service center employees and managers and law enforcement personnel. This position must work with discretion and professionalism and maintain confidentiality at all times.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provide technical assistance and advice to Ops and Senior Leadership and Team Members regarding EH&S
- Manage EHS self-evaluation and conduct comprehensive EH&S audits
- Administer and actively manage Workers Compensation, General Liability and Auto Liability claims on a daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis.
- Coordinate Worker’s Compensation Leave and Return to Work programs with insurance carrier, Human Resources and respective field and service center management and employees.
- Administrate, maintain and support environmental & SPCC compliance.
- Develop and prepare reporting metrics including but not limited to: OSHA Logs and reports; BLS Frequency reports; TravCare, First Report of Injury; First Aid and Near Miss documentation; Cost, Frequency and Severity Reports; other reports as required.
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert on conducting incident investigations.
- Document Safety programs and revisions to manuals, policies, procedures, etc.
- Schedule and Participate in Quarterly Loss and Claims reviews with insurance carrier(s).
- Identify injury trends and possible solutions based on Loss Reports provided by the insurance carrier; coordinate with HR health and wellness efforts as appropriate.
- Actively coordinate and participate in Company- wide Safety, Health and Wellness initiatives.
- Review, improve and maintain management systems in line with EH&S regulatory evolution.
- Manage site Emergency Response Procedures and ensure site plans are in place.
- Coordinate and Track Safety Training Programs, including implementation, participation & required updates.
- Develop, prepare, and communicate key related metrics and other safety, health & environmental related communications and information for the organization.
Skills and Competencies
- Proficiency with Windows Outlook, Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint
- Effective time management
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written
- Detail oriented
- Customer and client focused
- Able to work in a fast paced environment
- Strong team player
- Results oriented, learn quickly and able to make sound decisions after appropriate training
- Working knowledge of OSHA, worker’s compensation, NFPA, EPA and safety laws
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or combination of educational/work experience
- 2-4 years as a Claims Administrator or similar role
- Retail experience preferred
ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- 90% of work is in a climate-controlled internal office environment working under normal office conditions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, walk, see, use hands and fingers to feel and handle, reach with arms and hands, talk and hear. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may incidentally be required to stoop, kneel and crouch, lift weight or exert a force up to a maximum of 25 pounds.
- A current valid driver’s license and insurability rating is required; occasional travel by personal vehicle may be required.
- Occasional overnight travel to other regions may be required.
- Hours may include occasional evening and weekend hours, depending on special circumstances.
The above description is not intended to be an "all-inclusive" list of the duties and responsibilities of the job described, nor is it intended to be such a listing of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Rather, it is intended only to describe the general nature of the job.